Originally divided into three communities: Riolunato, Brocco and Flaminiatico. The center of political, religious and cultural power remained in Riolunato (current locality of Castello) throughout the Middle Ages until 1544. On Castello depended the small village in the valley. That village, over time, as the number of inhabitants increased, began to prevail on the administrative center of the town so that it was moved in the valley keeping the original name of Riolunato. At the time of commons, Riolunato joined the lordship of Este and it was part of it until the unification of Italy.